I am covering corporate finance for the Wall Street Journal in London. In this capacity, I report on U.K.-based companies as well as Continental European ones.
Before that, I worked as a U.K. Business Correspondent for WELT N24, one of the leading news outlets in Germany. I took up this position in August 2013, after my return from Shanghai in China. There, I filed stories on international companies and their expansion in the Middle Kingdom, on China’s changing business model as well as on Chinese firms going global.
At the age of 18, I started working as a freelancer for the local newspaper Neue Osnabruecker Zeitung in my hometown Osnabrueck in Germany – a small town in Lower Saxony. Not much to report on, to be honest. For that reason, I interned at Bild-Zeitung in Berlin, dpa News Agency in Muenster and Hanover, Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger in Cologne, at WELT am Sonntag in Berlin, ZDF Television in Mainz, ARD German Television in Washington DC, USA TODAY in McLean Virginia and at FFN, a local radio station in Osnabrück.
From 2005 to 2009, I studied Political Science, Modern History and American Studies at Bonn University in Germany and Georgetown University in the US. My studies were supported by Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Germany (KAS) and the Fund for American Studies (TFAS) in Washington DC. During the time of my studies, I worked as a freelance reporter for WELT am Sonntag in Berlin and Duesseldorf, Handelsblatt, Zeit Online and Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger. In addition, I received three years of journalistic training at Institut zur Foerderung publizistischen Nachwuchses (ifp) in Munich in Germany.
I got my Magister degree in 2009. My thesis dealt with strategies in the Presidential Campaign in the US in 2008. The research for this was conducted in Washington DC while I was spending a semester at Georgetown University. From 2009 to 2011, I worked at WELT-Group in Berlin, mostly in the business and finance department.
Since 2011, I am an editor and continue to work in business and finance reporting. Besides my journalistic work, I did a double masters degree in Media and Global Communications at London School of Economics (LSE) and Fudan University in Shanghai.
On November 29th, 2012, I was awarded the Georg von Holtzbrinck Preis für Wirtschaftspublizistik, one of the major prizes for business reporting in Germany. I received the prize for a story on the growing amount of pig meat exports from Germany to China. Interestingly enough, the Chinese cherish what Europeans label as “waste”: snouts, trouts, bones and tails. In many Chinese households, these parts of the pig are considered delicacies. Thanks to this, German meat exporters benefit hugely from China´s increasing demand for meat.
- RT @fretwellb : Relocating half a world away and after 25 hours straight, with time zone differences: am a wee bit shattered @Nina_Trentmann … 9 hours ago
- Time to say goodbye: Off to new adventures in New York after five years, eleven months and three weeks in London an… https://t.co/fj8NqKiVS1 1 day ago
- The U.K. government named a new chief executive for the Financial Reporting Council, a move that comes as the audit… https://t.co/l5TxRoQ6QQ 4 days ago
- This was my last day in the WSJ’s offices in London. From Tuesday onwards, I will be working for @CFOJournal @WSJ i… https://t.co/2N0769F3hH 5 days ago
- CSX's earnings call this week highlighted the seemingly awkward nature of C-suite limbo: The CEO praised interim CF… https://t.co/dsbGsOUHHC 6 days ago
- The Incredible Inventory of Things We’ve Put on the Moon https://t.co/ZDKn2ZANhe 6 days ago
- The New Race to the Moon https://t.co/lBw8kh8Aqn 6 days ago
- RT @CFOJournal : CSX Corp. is considering making its interim finance chief permanent, report @MicahMaidenberg and @Nina_Trentmann for @CFOJo … 6 days ago
- RT @CFOJournal : A professional body for the credit management industry took action against Prudential, BT Group, British American Tobacco a… 6 days ago
- Inside the painstaking effort to repair and reboot the original computer from an Apollo lunar lander. https://t.co/avPmJNhM7w 7 days ago